Thursday, January 19, 2012

the bash

Bringing out the traditional birthday cupcake and pretty dishes
 So, this past weekend was my 39th birthday. 

I really hate people making a fuss over me, but then again, I see how annoying it can be
when the birthday girl resists the kindness of her husband. I, on the other hand, LOVE to make
a fuss over people so I guess this was a taste of my own medicine.

Besides, perfect content for this blog. AND perfect reason to get together in the dead of winter.

We kept the gathering super small. I love the people I work with, so they were at the top of the list. We spend so much time together over the holidays, but it's work... crazy busy holiday work. This was fun.

We also invited people we never see, so another reason to celebrate. Certainly not my birthday.



Had to hang up my own birthday banner...the mom always does, even if it's her day...

 What did we serve?
Cheese and more cheese. My absolutely favorite kind of party food. This kept the
menu very simple and allowed Nathan to host, but chat too (he's good at that).

Nathan brought out our fondue pot. This made everything over the top. We found
gooey, cheesy bread is perfect with prosciutto.


Nathan "allowed" me to put all the flowers in vases, since this is my favorite thing to do in my house!


My favorite part of hosting company is the calm before the arrival. The house is picked up and there are fresh flowers everywhere! Even in the winter.

I love my house full of people!


Boy, I sure don't look like I avoid attention! Geesh, I look like a giddy 2 year old. 


My birthday treat was simple. Sugar cookie bars with a local dairy's vanilla icecream. My favorite.
Oh, and a glass of red wine.



Thanks to my "company" for helping me celebrate my last year in the 30s.


5 comments:

  1. Yes, I love those last two photos too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I totally love those pictures of you, Carol! So glad you had a great party, and that your husband is so sweet. Wishing you a stellar year of gatherings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Carol, Nathan and kids. Robin and I wish you many happy returns of the day! Now I also want you to know that I have a saying. "I never feel sorry for anyone younger than me" :-). Well done Nathan! Keeping it simple is such a fun way to celebrate and not stress. Say "Hi" to your children. And come to California again for a visit. The guest rooms are always available. Uncle David

    ReplyDelete